The question is, can you freeze grilled cheese sandwiches?
You can absolutely freeze grilled cheese sandwiches. It’s not just delicious but also really easy to make ahead of time, as you can freeze them and eat them frozen for about three months. I used to have frozen grilled cheese sandwiches for breakfast every day when I was a kid.
Imagine this, you are in a hurry, and you have to quickly make breakfast, eat, and get ready for the day.
You can save a lot of time if you have frozen grilled cheese sandwiches ready just to be warmed up and eaten.
And if you somehow make a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches, you can easily freeze the leftover to feast on the mouthwatering gooey deliciousness later.
The point is that the global market for frozen food is huge, but why rely on buying them when you can make your own?
How to Freeze Grilled Cheese Sandwiches?
You can’t just make grilled cheese sandwiches and put them hot in the freezer without any preparations. There are a few steps you need to follow to get the best output.
Here are the steps you need to take to freeze your grilled cheese sandwiches.
Freeze Dried Grilled Cheese Sandwhich
To make your sandwiches, you need to assemble them first. And to assemble your sandwiches, you need to gather these ingredients:
- Bread: There is no sandwich without sandwich bread. So you need to make sure that you got the right kind of bread for you. It could be small or large bread, depending on your preference. Whichever size you choose, just make sure you know how long to cook them for.
- Butter: You definitely need butter to make tasty grilled cheese sandwiches. Make sure the butter is at room temperature so that you can spread it easily. Even though some people like to use mayonnaise instead of butter, it could separate when it thaws.
- Cheese: As a cheese lover, I put extra cheese in my sandwich. You get to choose different kinds of cheese for your sandwich, but I recommend Havarti and Pepper Jack slices. Also, you can use block cheese but make sure you slice them really thin.
Now that you’ve gathered the ingredients, it is time to assemble your sandwiches. Make sure that you calculate the number of sandwiches you want to make before you start.
Spread the butter on one of the sides of each bread piece. Place at least two of your desired cheese slices on a bread’s unbuttered side.
Then put the unbuttered side of another piece of bread on top of the cheese. Keep assembling all your sandwiches the same way.
Get as many small plastic bags that are freezer-friendly as you need to bag each sandwich. Then put each assembled sandwich in the freezer bags.
Make sure that the plastic bags are not too big compared to the sandwiches. Now you need to get rid of the excess air inside each of the bags and seal them properly.
Tip: I suggest that you wrap your sandwiches in baking paper before you bag them, or the butter on the outer layer might get stuck on the plastic.
You need to stack up your sandwich bags and press them to get rid of any excess air that could be left over.
This step is important because if there is any air left in the plastic bags, your sandwiches will not be efficiently frozen.
You shouldn’t just place your sandwiches wherever you like in the freezer. Instead, try to keep them in the center of your freezer to prevent any future freezer burns.
If you make sure you take all the steps properly, you might be able to freeze your sandwiches for about three months.
I recommend using a toaster oven for baking your grilled cheese sandwiches. And you don’t even need to preheat the oven.
Follow these steps to make yourself amazing grilled cheese sandwiches:
- Just take out as many sandwiches as you need out of the freezer and take them out of the freezer bags.
- Place your sandwiches on a pan and put them in the toaster oven without preheating your oven first.
- Try to place your sandwiches in the bottom or middle rack of your toaster oven.
- Set your toaster oven’s temperature to 375 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, depending on what works best for your oven.
- Choose the Bake option and then press on the Start button.
- Carefully flip your sandwiches after 5 to 6 minutes using a spatula
- Cook for 4-6 more minutes till the cheese is melted and both sides of your sandwiches are toasted.
Keep checking your sandwiches to make sure they don’t burn. And if they are taking time to toast, keep them in the oven for a bit longer.
You need to adjust it according to your toaster oven. And if you make enough sandwiches, you will get the hang of it.
Can you freeze grilled cheese sandwiches? Of course, you can! It is the most efficient way to make and eat grilled cheese sandwiches if you don’t mind having them regularly.
If you love these sandwiches enough to have them every day for breakfast, you should not waste your time making them every day from scratch. Just freeze them!
You don’t necessarily have to eat them every day, either. Eat them whenever you want to, as you can store these sandwiches for a long time.